Driving licences for mopeds and light quadricycles

Driving licences for mopeds and light quadricycles

You need a Category AM licence to ride a moped or drive a light quadricycle. An AM licence with the special condition 120 denotes a moped, and special condition 121 a light quadricycle.

You need a driving licence permit to apply for an AM driving licence. You can apply for a permit no more than one year before you turn 15. You should submit your application to an Ajovarma office.

Driving instruction

You must then complete a course of instruction, either at a driving school or with a driving instruction permit.

You must receive at least six hours of theory and at least three hours of practical instruction, of which one hour covers handling and two hours driving/riding. The same amount of instruction is required for both mopeds and light quadricycles.

You may only take driving/riding instruction on the road after you have turned 15.

Driving examination

You must take a driving examination after completing your course of instruction. In order to take the examination, you will need to have a driving licence permit and have completed all of the required instruction.

You can take your theory test no more than one month before you turn 15. You may only take your moped handling test or light quadricycle driving test once you have turned 15.

You can book a time for your examination at an Ajovarma office. When you arrive to take your tests, you must prove your identity with, for example, your passport or ID card.

The moped examination includes a theory test and a handling test. The light quadricycle examination includes a theory test and a driving test on the road.

Driving licence posted to your home address

You will receive a certificate when you pass your examination. This certificate will entitle you to drive a Category AM (120 or 121) vehicle in Finland (excluding the Åland Islands) for six months. Your driving licence will be posted to your home address within about three weeks after you have passed your examination.

Further information about AM licences

A moped licence (AM120) is compulsory for anyone born in or after 1985. Anyone born before 1985 may drive a moped without a driving licence.

You will always need a licence to drive a light quadricycle (Category AM121 or a former Category M licence). As of 19 January 2013, a moped licence no longer entitles you to drive a light quadricycle. You will need to have a Category AM licence with special condition 121.


Upgrading a driving licence

You can upgrade your driving licence within Group 1 (AM/120, AM/121, T, LT, A1, A2, A, B, BE) through Trafi’s e-Services. Using the service requires that you already have a right to drive in Group 1 and that no attachments are needed for the upgrading of the licence (such as medical certificate, consent of guardians, certificate of driving instruction). If attachments are needed for upgrading the licence, the upgrade must be carried out at Ajovarma. More information on the requirements of using the upgrading service is available in the e-Services.

You can always also upgrade your driving licence at Ajovarma’s licence service point.



Page updated 09/21/2017